Monday 4 May 2009

The last Funkytown

Tuesday, 28 April 2009



It is good to know a word like ‘Funkytown’. I could see how people, including our group members, enjoy saying, ‘Funkytown’. People probably expected that our presentation would be such a fun because of the word. The reason that we tried to present in a more light hearted way was not only for the audience but also for ourselves. We wanted to try to empathise with the audience, regarding ‘Funkytown’.

While I was travelling to Barcelona, Rome, Cinque Terre and Milan with Chris, I asked him that what was the most important thing to him, when he traveled. He said that he usually liked watching people and walking around the cities.

What about myself?
I’m used to visiting well-known tourist places, where we feel we must go, as per the guide book. I am always in a rush and do not want to miss anything.
What I remember about countries I have visited?
One day, I visited well known tourist areas in Singapore. There were many huge shopping malls and clean streets, which Singapore is well known for. However, I found out the tourist places are not always what they seem. When I visited my Singaporean friend 2 years later, she showed me around Singapore villages and we ate so many local foods, which was so cheap and delicious. I had paid a lot of money for poorer food, on my first Singapore trip. I enjoyed much more my second Singapore trip, compared with the first because I could see how Singaporeans live, which is different from in Korea. How their houses look, what kinds of food they have and so on. Two times travelling but are totally different journey, although, I was traveling in the same country. When I heard Chris’s answer, it reminded me of the two different kinds of Singapore trips.

I had started to be interested in the life of humans and different cultures through friends in the design ethnography department. I decided to see not only tourist places but also, to study people, their habits and how they communicate. I felt this would be helpful to the ‘Funkytown’ project. We had a breakfast, lunch and dinner in a local restaurant and saw what those locals ate and how they enjoyed talking with other people. We also found similar places in Barcelona. Local people gather together to play guitars, sing songs, listen music and chat outside. It was very late at night but there were many people and making friends seemed to be easy, maybe through music and chat. Their impression was of peace and relaxation. This seems to happen every night.

I made so many friends in Milan through the design fair, just because we all had the same interests and came from the same country. To share the same things or thinking brought people closer naturally. The Korean friends I met in Milan made our group name (‘Gandi’) and we arranged to meet again when we get back to Korea. That was amazing. How we became close to each other so quickly and enjoyed meeting more people. It seemed to me that we had formed a new community.

There was no coordinator, no pressure and no plan to make a community. What a natural gathering! How can we bring these natural ways of becoming a community in a town? We recognised, at least, why reconnected community is important through our own proposal and other’s presentations.

To me, this project was a good opportunity to open eyes to think about gathering people, in my subconscious.

1 comment:

  1. posting all in english ya?hehehe..aku malah gak mengerti..hihi.thanks udah koment d blog aku ya.salam kenal....

    ReplyDelete