Sunday 12 April 2009

2nd tutorial with Hamid

Tuesday, 24 March 2009

2nd tutorial with Hamid

Our group tried to amend a document, as Hamid advised and showed him it again. Taken as a whole, our research is going fine. He suggested to us to participate in any cultural event in Dundee, as an experience. Yes! We should. Actually, our team are active characters, so we are often invited to events, such as a band performing or a ceilidh. At first, we were just curious as to how Scottish culture would appear and then we really had a great time. There are no reasons for not attending more, especially when, it was helpful in settling down international students. In my view, there are plenty of communities in Dundee who might indicate opposition to the ethos of the research question (Figure 1). Figure 1 shows a map that compares the sense of belonging in UK communities in 1971 and 2001. Dundee is one of the weakest in terms of communities.

Whenever I join in events, I can see a mix of races and ages. That means that popular cultures are well ingrained in the mass of people. I know that I often compare between Korea and the UK, where I stay at present. I can’t help doing this because there are so many different cultures displayed.

Koreans seem to be segregated in terms of age, generation or personal propensity. For example, there are particular areas, even public spaces, specifically for young people or old. A park in the middle of city, called ‘Pagoda’, is more likely to be occupied by older people. A lot of live band bars around the University of Hong-ik are obviously, primarily for young people. While I was studying at The University of Hong-ik, I don’t think that I ever saw any older people in the area. A town called ‘Lee-tae-won’, is known as a popular town for foreigner. If you visit there, you will think that you are no longer in Korea. I saw three older people who were exercising in the gym at The University of Dundee last weekend. Initially, I felt a little bit strange but I ended up mixing with all generations, which was really good. The gym belongs to the university, therefore, that only younger people would use it. You may think I am weird!! One of my former professors used to swim in the pool belonging to my undergraduate university and everybody whispered about him. I also didn’t understand why he used the university pool, which I thought should be only for younger people. Now I know better!! This way of thinking is totally wrong. It shows personal prejudices and I think that prejudice fragments communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment