Sunday 12 April 2009

RESQROLL emergency care and Ambaba

Tuesday, 17 February 2009

Life is all about survival
RESQROLL emergency care _ Brain Carlin

Sustainable Design
Ambaba _ Mel Woods




There were two lectures, one each, by Brain Carlin and Mel Woods. Brain Carlin, from RESQROLL emergency extrication systems, showed a design for spine saving equipment. Mel Woods from own Ambaba company, showed a new design for nappies. Both of the ideas were very interesting because I think that these fields occupy a niche market.

I have heard so many times when a person is injured in an accident or by falling, nobody shouldn’t touch or try to carry the person because the person may be further injured, as a result of incorrect handling. There is currently, however, no particularly good equipment designed to carry a patient. When I saw an image of the rescue design on the screen during Brain’s presentation, I drew a copy of the image. The project made such an impact on me. Why could I not have thought about this kind of design solution? Why do I always seem to be trying to design things which everybody could think of? I also had the same feeling during Mel Woods’s lecture.
Actually, I had not considered sustainable design before I came to Scotland. I had been thinking of myself first and also my personal environment. I had no consideration for the world around me. As a result of the many lectures and workshops in this Master’s course, I have realised that the world is much wider than I had originally thought. Nowadays, my interest has moved to the future of society, which is concerned with sustainable design for the next generation, in terms of the 2108 future society group project.




In this regard, the nappies project was very impressive. I have just remembered my aunt used to complain about re-usable nappies and she stopped using them because of complicated processes involved. Furthermore, I have also remembered how many disposable nappies I threw away in a day, when I looked after three nephews. The rubbish bin in their house was always full of them! I hope that the Ambaba project can solve the problems of re-usable nappies, so that mothers throughout the world use more and more of this new product.

On the way home... How can I connect my research project to sustainable design as a niche market?


Microsoft Sustainability - What an interesting IDEA!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dact-1Tdgz0

No comments:

Post a Comment