Sunday 12 April 2009

My childhood

Tursday, 26 March 2009

Funkytown

The project has reached its middle phase, so we tried to assign tasks to each member to probe into our research. We were willing to take the responsibility of each task. It was suitable way for me because of my lack of English. Some work, such as writing, takes too long, so it is better if take a certain part that I am better at. This is one of the advantages of group work as if we can share abilities each other. My tasks this week are looking for background to our research and calculating, on the basis of actual prices, for the one year period.
My childhood

During the research, I realised how fragmented communities make people feel lonely. Let me look back to my memories of childhood. Korea has changed from being agricultural to being an industrial society so quickly, within my parent’s generation. I listened to their childhood stories so many times. They maybe wanted to explain how different things were in these days. Whenever they needed help, neighbours gathered together to help, on the other hand, when neighbours needed help, my parents always helped them. I’m not saying that we should, necessarily, go back to being an agricultural society but I feel that we need to bring touch back among humans.
My childhood was quite happy. My family lived close to our relatives. All of father’s side of the family met in my uncle’s house at least once a week and stayed until the next day. I grew up with my brothers and cousins, all together. All of my cousins are like my real brothers and sisters. One of my aunts arranged a gathering called ‘Garamhoi’ for her nephews and nieces, including me. Once a month, she took all of us somewhere for a picnic. Our parents gladly paid for that. We had so much fun at that time. We learned to roller skate and to ride a bike. Of course, I still have good relationships with all of them.

After I grew up, friends and I sometimes talked about our childhood. Nobody else seemed to have the lovely memories I have of my youth. They were always jealous. Korea has become more mobile, people live as nuclear families and, apartment buildings are anonymous. By a change of environment, they still miss the hug relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment